BURBERRY FIRST PRIZE AWARD WINNING PROJECT, AWARDED BY CHRISTOPHER BAILEY.


The idea for my project stems from the confinement of prisoners within cells, with only windows and prison bars to look out from.I began my research by observing and drawing gates and railings from differing perspectives. I tried to capture the way the gates disappear into the distance. The visit to the Ironwork and Islamic galleries at the V&A was very inspiring.

My drawings are very 3D and decorative. There is a change in pattern intensity and relief, which I have tried to capture and communicate within fabric. I have been experimenting with techniques such as quilting, hand embroidery and encasing materials within fabrics. I have also explored marbling techniques. The resulting fabric that I have developed has an optical illusion quality, which is exciting. I will continue to develop this technique further with the emphasis on high and low relief combined with intricate patterns. For more information please visit: Burberry Award Winners.